Adventurous people prefer Jeep Wrangler due to its off-road capability to maneuver over rugged terrain, toughness, and affordable price. Going for adventures involves various activities. Probably you enjoy camping and connecting to nature over the weekend.
Probably you are looking for a new experience by camping on the roof of your Jeep Wrangler. Well, rooftop camping offers a fantastic experience. They are user-friendly, easy to install and uninstall.
The only problem you may have, especially if you are new to camping, is getting the type of rooftop tent your Jeep Wrangler can Support. Let’s dive in and look at what is the best rooftop tent for a jeep wrangler.
Factors to Consider When Buying Roof Tent for our Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Wrangler is known for its ruggedness and super abilities to tackle off-road, and you can go anywhere you want to take new adventures.
Camping on a jeep’s roof is a superfan, but some factors are going to affect the type of tent on your Jeep Wrangler. Those factors are:
Soft Roof Top
If your Jeep has a soft rooftop, you are likely to think that you can’t enjoy camping on the top of your Jeep’s roof.
However, with good research, you can push your Jeep rooftop to the maximum limit. With a good roof rack appropriately secured, you can get a roof tent for the soft rooftop.
Hard Roof Top
A rigid roof can carry more weight than a soft rooftop on a Jeep Wrangler. But you don’t have to get worked up much. A secure rack on your Jeep, and you are good to go for the tent of your choice.
Before buying any roof for your Jeep, you need to check the maximum weight it can handle. It applies to both soft and hard rooftop Jeeps. Jeep manufactures indicate the importance your Jeep can support without over-stretching it.
Storage is essential when choosing your rooftop tent. You may have friends accompany you or hold camping parties. It would be best to have a tent that offers enough space for you, your guests, and the necessary packages that you carry.
Cost is a factor to consider in everything you buy. So, while you may have a budget for the roof tent is crucial to shop around and check different prices and what they offer before making the final decision.
When looking to buy a tent, you need to look at the durability of the tent. For example, how long will it serve you? A durable tent can withstand harsh weather conditions like snow, heavy rainy season, hot summer days, and wind.
A durable tent can withstand four seasons, withstand heavy wind, and leak during heavy rain.
Types of Roof Tent Your Jeep Wrangler Support
There is plenty of roof tent to choose from. But not all of the roof tents available are ideal. Let separate the best from the rest.
- Standard size tent with high-density double foam mattress with sleep space for 2-3 People.
- It has a 600D heavy-duty waterproof sunroof and side windows with mosquito netting.
- Also, It is easy to set up and takedown with a heavy-duty PVC cover keeps the tent dry and free from UV rays when not in use.
- This tent is also available in Size XL with Ladder extension also available.
- It also includes mounting brackets.
Smittybilt is a household name specializing in Jeep accessories. If you own a Jeep Wrangler, then an overlander rooftop tent is perfect for you.
The tent comes in two sizes (standard and XL), has a maximum capacity of three adults, and offers a spacious tent feel.
It fits comfortably on a Jeep Wrangler. The tent measures 95 widths, 56 extended, and 51 high, with a load capacity of 661 lb.
The tent includes a sunroof, exterior shore storage. Windows screen inside, LED interior light, Heavy Duty rainfly, and high-density mattress to ensure you sleep comfortably at night.
If you are looking for more, you can add an overlander annex with heavy zip that creates more space where you can cook or extra room to sleep. The extension is sold separately.
The overlander is a four-season tent, meaning you can camp on a rainy day, during winter or summer. It’s made from heavy-duty polyester hence waterproof and cannot leak water during the rain.
During summer, you are protected from the hot UV rays by a sunroof that is UV resistant, and the best part is you can attach or detach the roof. In addition, the ventilation, windows, and doors ensure you get quality airflow in and out of the tent.
You can access your Jeep through a telescoping ladder manufactured from aluminum with perfect height for your Jeep Wrangler. It takes few minutes to install. The tent has one year warranty.
- ARB Series III Rooftop Tent with Annex Combo Kit.
- It mounts to the top of your jeep for an above/ground sleeping or storage space.
- It comes with a retractable aluminum ladder to climb up or down from the tent.
- It features a 2.5-inch foam mattress to keep you comfortable when you sleep.
- It has Insect screens to ensure that mosquitos and bugs won’t find their way into your tent.
ARB is a household name for the best top roof tents. However, if you are a classy person looking for an elegantly designed full roof tent, durable and usable for your Jeep Wrangler, then the Simpson Rooftop tent from ARB is the choice.
The tent was un upgrade from previous top roof tents feedback from actual campers who used them. The new design eliminated features in their earlier tents that were not useful and created more space with upgraded features.
The new design of the ARB Simpson rooftop tent has gone a total make-over from the structure to the materials.
Its water-resistant ability has improved tremendously from using new materials of polyester (300GSM PU) and high-quality cotton. The tent is also highly resistant to UV, ensuring you are protected from harsh weather.
When you buy the tent, it comes with a high-density mattress, awning that prevents water from entering the tent from the sides. The annex provides you some extra space where you can use to change and has a big shoe pock with it.
Another unique feature is the rainfly cover that is included with the Simpson ARB tent. The rainfly prevents the heavy rain from getting inside the tent, snow, and even dust.
It covers the whole tent, including windows and doors. Frames and ladder are made from ionized aluminum resistant to wind.
The tent ensures a good flow of air from its door and windows that have been secured with a screen of mesh wire to prevent bugs and small insects from entering the tent.
With 154 lbs. and a three-person capacity, the tent measures 94.5 widths, 55 lengths, 11 high, and lasts for long.
- Tepui Explorer rooftop tent is easy to zip as an open tent.
- It includes a door and two windows complete with mesh netting to protect against mosquitos.
- It can be customized according to your space by adding or removing the floor and opening or closing the windows and entry door.
- It is very convenient to access vehicle, thanks to the zippered rear panel.
- It also includes four ground stakes to stabilize corners.
When you want a premium rooftop tent for your Jeep Wrangler, then Tepui Explorer is your best bet. Most Jeep owners love the Tepui explorer because of its unique features.
On purchasing the tent, you get a high-density mattress form. The tent holds a capacity of three people at once.
The tent is easy to access and has an aluminum ladder that you can use to access your car. It has a canopy made from polyester, and it prevents water from getting in the tent during rainy days and prevents that hot UV rays during summer and winter.
So, you can camp at any season without working yourself out on how things will work. The large windows and doors ensure a good flow of weather, and the windows are covered with no-um mesh wire to prevent mosquitoes and insects.
It has a size of 56 widths and 96 lengths with 130 lbs. (59 kg). The tent is known for its long durability and the ability to resist moisture.
It’s waterproof, sun and snowproof, and made from 40D. THE Tepui tent uses 420 polyester materials to manufacture the tent.
It’s easy to install and see the tent follow with the instructions that come with the tent. It has an ample internal space that gives you a comfortable experience with a luxurious feeling. Light in weight and comes with multiple colors to choose from.
- Compatible for 2-3 person, comes with high-density foam double mattress.
- It has 600D heavy-duty waterproof top and extra large rain fly and sunroof.
- It has side windows, top sunroof and both front/rear entrance with mosquito netting;
- It is equipped with aluminium telescopic ladder.
- It also has PVC rooftop cover.
Campoint Sunroof is the perfect rooftop tent for jeep wrangler with rooftop rack or bar. These tents are made from strong non-rip polyester-waterproof material and polyurethane-impregnation for additional durability.
These tent poles are made of anodized aluminum and fitted with a 6.5 ft aluminum telescoping ladder extending up to 6 1/2 ft. Also, it includes a 2-inch thick high-density foam of 90 x 53-inch mattress.
This rooftop tent has a waterproof rainfly and mosquito screen. It is easily compatible with 2-3 persons. Heavy-duty PVC cover keeps tent dry and free from UV rays, when not in use. Also, this rooftop tent comes with mounting brackets included.
- Tepui Four-season rooftop tent is ideal for 4×4 trailers or off-road rigs.
- This tent can accommodate up to 3 people.
- It comes with a Diamond plate base for added protection and durability.
- It is constructed from high-quality, rip-stop 360g stitched fabric.
- Also, it includes high density 2 inch foam mattress and anti-condensation mat.
Tepui tents are one of the best tent brands in the market, and their ruggedized series 3 is perfect for a small family or couples looking for a rooftop tent for their Jeep Wrangler. It weighs 180 lbs and has the capacity of holding three adults at a time.
With a 56″ width, 96″ length, and 52 high, the tent comes with a thick mattress that ensures you sleep while camping. In addition, the tent is capable of withstanding all four seasons from the durable material.
You have acquired a beast rooftop tent with 420D rainfly and a canopy manufactured from a 360 g and 600D ripstop. It’s one of the best rooftop tents and gives you value for your money.
- Equipped with marine grade 600D Rip-Stop Polyester Cotton Canvas Water Proof Body and 420D Polyester Oxford Waterproof Rain Fly with Fade-less Gaze Breathable Windows.
- It has 3″ High Density Foam Mattress with Quilted Cotton Cover, Insulated Base, and Marine Grade Stainless Steel Hardware.
- This rooftop tent package comes with transportation Cover, Tubular Telescoping Ladder, Six Built In Storage Pockets, Storage Loft, Power Bank Pouch, Hand Held LED Light, LED Velcro Strip, and Bonus Pack.
- This rooftop tent fits anything with a factory or aftermarket roof rack.
- Also, this rooftop tent comes with Memory Foam Pillows, Lap Table, Mini Broom and Dust Pan.
Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic line of Tents are the best of the best. These tents are made up of the finest materials to ensure nothing comes between you and your adventure.
Nomadic 3 Extended Rooftop tents come with a double insulated one-piece diamond plate featuring marine grade stainless steel hinges and hardware. The 600D Premium Double Rip-Stop Polyester Cotton Canvas bodies are capable of handling the harshest conditions one can put themselves in.
These tents are easy to install and require no drilling or modification to your vehicle and equipped with a factory or aftermarket roof rack.
- Freespirit Adventure Series Roof Top Tent comes with single footprint design, which takes up less space.
- It is easy to install and can accomodate 2-3 people.
- It is made up of durable aluminum alloy frame.
- It can be easily set up in 60 seconds or less.
The Premium Freespirit recreation adventure series is a softshell tent that has a capacity of three people. It takes seconds to set up and dismantle, too, making a very convenient tent for camping.
The premium series has a tri-layer technology that helps hold heat inside the tent during the cold season and breathable during summer.
It offers a spacious interior and has screened windows and doors on all sides, offering paranoic views inside your tent. It’s the perfect tent for Jeep Wrangler and very affordable.
Why Roof Rack Important when Buying Tent?
Jeep Wrangler comes hardy when you are looking at camp, but the one thing you need to have is a roof rack where you will set up your roof tent. Also, you cannot set up a roof tent without a roof rack. There are various roof racks available to choose from.
Roof racks distribute enough weight in various directions ensuring your tent is stable. However, if your roof rack is not well installed, you will not set up your roof correctly. Therefore, you need to understand if your rooftop is soft and hard to get the correct rack when purchasing a roof rack.
Rooftop camping offers a unique experience that every adventurous person wants to experience. But preparing for it may require you to put in some more work looking for a tent that will meet your needs and suitable to set it up on your Jeep Wrangler.
The above tents featured are the best in the market and fit Jeep Wrangler perfectly. However, there are some considerations you need to look for when you are shopping for a tent.
Durability, weight, and capacity are more vital. There are some tents heavy for a soft rooftop and some with less power than others.
While price is essential, it depends on the perks of the tent and what is included. For example, does it have the annex inclusive or exclusive? The mattress and storage are crucial too.